Please, check the booklet to make sure that you fulfill all the criteria. However, in general, the candidates should meet the following requirements:
- The winner of the European Sustainable Heritage Award will have carried out a renovation / improvement project, at a cost of min. EUR 20,000, which was completed by 20 October 2023.
- We will reward projects encapsulating heritage owners' efforts to improve sustainability outcomes while performing their key role as custodians of European heritage.
- The project will have taken place in a heritage property, as defined by the membership criteria of the EHH member organisation to which the applicant belongs.
- The project will have achieved, either through renovation or alteration of the property, measurable impacts across one or more of the following five criteria:
· Energy (e.g. installation of heat pump technology, improvements in insulation, use of energy saving switches…)
· Waste (e.g. safe handling/disposal of hazardous waste)
· Water (e.g. installation of water-efficient showers/toilets/faucets, (re-)use of rainwater, drought-tolerant landscaping)
· Biodiversity and Ecosystems (e.g. greening of rooftops and other spaces, replacement of native species)
· Destination and Community (e.g. investment in local sustainability projects)
- Successful applications must also describe activities through which the candidate opens their heritage property up to local residents and tourists e.g. through hosting guests, collaboration with local communities/businesses, promotion of the property as a heritage good, etc.
Please note that this is not a funding opportunity, but rather a way to award already finalised projects.