WHAT IS RAW RESIDENCY?
RAW Material Company’s residency programme started in 2011 and has welcomed more than 50 artists, writers, researchers, curators, etc. from various nationalities, in Dakar. The residency programme is open to visual artists interested in any medium, from writers, musicians, filmmakers and architects to curators, researchers or student researchers. The RAW Material Company residency is located in the Baobabs neighbourhood and has the capacity to welcome two artists in residence. The space is a 15 minute walk from RAW's headquarters and is 20 mins drive away from Dakar's downtown.
Applications open from July 15 to September 1, 2019 at midnight (GMT) for a residency that will take place in February or March 2020. Two residents will be selected. The exact duration of the residency is one month. The selection of the residents will be decided by the curatorial team of RAW Material Company.
Applications received after this call will not be considered for review.
Residents must cover the costs of their journey and meals whilst in Senegal, as well as any visa fees and medical insurance.
DIRECTIONS FOR COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION
Please complete the following sections to the best of your ability.
Before filling out the application, please read over the entirety of the form to prepare all the necessary documents.
You will need to upload:
1. A cover letter (max 250 words)
2. A description of the project you would like to work on during the residency (max 500 words)
3. A full resume and a short bio (max 250 words)
4. A headshot in high resolution
1. Be present in Dakar for 1 month
2. Have a conversational knowledge of French
3. Be able to cover the costs for travel, visa, insurance, living and residency
4 weeks: 750€
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Optional airport pick-up and transfer
- 1 individual bedroom with air conditioning
- 1 bathroom shared with 1 fellow resident
- 1 studio space
- Recreational space (living room, terrace)
- Cleaning and laundry
- Dedicated coordination and orientation of your project
- Access to the intellectutal and artistic scene
- Research and production assistance
- Library specialized in contemporary art
- 1 public talk on your work during the time of your residency
- Full WI-FI coverage in all working and living areas